Monday, December 15, 2008

Pray! Head Down! Weight Up!

On the Monday after Thanksgiving, we visited the midwife. I had eaten a TON of the traditional Thanksgiving dishes over the week, so I was curious to see if I had gained a TON of weight considering (mmmm... pumpkin pie!)

Well, it ends up that I had dropped a half a pound over the two weeks prior. The baby, however, was growing just fine and had put on weight. That meant that I needed to be careful for my own health!

We also found out that the baby was breech (feet down.) For those who don't know, this is not a safe delivery position, and most breech babies are taken out by C-Section. Our midwife said he would have enough room to turn himself for about 2-4 more weeks, depending. Otherwise, we'd have to do another ultrasound and try to manually turn him (painful.)

So, what did we do? We prayed long and hard for the baby to go head down and for my weight to go up. We asked our parents, friends, and our church to pray for us. We surrendered this to the Lord, asking for His will and praising Him for all He's done, is doing, and will do! It was kinda funny, though, cuz Luke and I were constantly speaking to our Joshua about going head down. "Listen to God and let Him guide you head down," we'd say.

Well, today we had another appointment, and our prayers have been answered! Praise God! Joshua is head down (good boy!) and my weight raised back up. I even gained a pound! Yay! Our midwife says it's a good thing, cuz he's run out of room to turn himself now. God is such a good Father! This past year, He gave us each other (marriage), a baby boy, released us to ministry, and he's turned Joshua head down just in time! Not to mention providing for all our needs, knitting Joshua together, and growing us spiritually and in relationship with Him! I just want to profess the GREATNESS of our Father! Praise God!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Praise God!

Sarah said...

Praise God indeed! We're excited to see you guys at Faithwalkers!

Kirsten Hill said...

Yeah! A a little over a week ago we totally would have been companions...our little guy was still head-up until (I think) right before my appointment last Tuesday. I was telling people kind of jokingly that he heard us talking about having to be turned from the outside and decided that didn't sound so good so he better get going the right way. :) Of course, I'm sure prayer had something to do it with it too. ;-)

The extra bonus for me was that I got to have an extra quick ultrasound at my appointment last week since the midwife wasn't absolutely sure of the baby's position, and we were trying to decide if we needed to schedule that turning appointment or not. It took the ultrasound tech a few seconds to see that baby's head was down, and then she decided to have some fun and turn on the "4D" machine -- the pictures from that look so much more like a baby and less like the blobs you normally see on an ultrasound. It was very fun and exciting to see our little guy more like how we will see him when he comes out!

Our next big hurdle is finding out whether we can travel or not at Christmas. Since I'll just be turning 36 weeks right after Christmas, my midwifes were nervous to approve travel without checking me out right before hand. We're praying that we'll still be able to make it to see Tony's family, but we won't find out until next Tuesday if they are going to "approve" me for travel or not. I'm not too concerned about it since I have never had any pre-term labor with either of my kids and was late with Erik (and probably would have been late with Madeline if I would have been allowed to go into labor early), but I know they have to be cautious in their medical recommendations.

Kirsten Hill said...

Oh, sentence toward the end should say, "I probably would have been late with Madeline if I would have been allowed to go into labor naturally instead of being induced early"...it's so silly not being able to edit comments on things like this. :)

Holly Anderson said...

Oh wow, Kirsten! Talk about parallel pregnancies! I'm excited that you got to see your little guy with the 4D machine! I bet that was amazing! Luke and I will be praying you get to travel! We were approved grudgingly by our midwives, since we won't technically be at 36 weeks until just after new years. We snuck by somehow! I'm assuming Faithwalkers is a no-go this year for you? We'll miss seeing you! Hugs!